A Brief History of the Gamma Xi Chapter

The Phi Kappa Sigma International Fraternity was founded at the University of Pennsylvania in 1850 By Dr. Samuel Brown Wylie Mitchell.  Our organization is founded upon our Seven Core Values: Trust, Honor, Respect, Knowledge, Wisdom, Responsibility and Integrity.

            Members of Phi Kappa Sigma are also known as "Phi Kaps" or more commonly as "Skulls."  The "Skulls" nickname dates back to the civil war era, where members of the fraternity would wear silver skull badges on their uniform.  Brothers would not shoot other brothers, and would actually help each other whenever possible.

             Since 1850, brothers of this fraternity have made lifelong commitments to these values and each other.  As one of the first Greek letter male leadership organizations, Phi Kappa Sigma strives to be on the cutting edge of scholarship, community and personal development.  Our brothers have been and continue to be some of the most successful leaders in their on-campus lives and beyond the college atmosphere.

             The Gamma Xi Chapter of Phi Kappa Sigma began at George Mason University as a colony, first meeting on April 22nd, 1988, receiving their charter the following year.  Under the leadership of William Keech Jr., a recently initiated brother who transferred to George Mason from our Beta Omega Chapter at Radford University, the chapter continued to grow.  Under his guidance, along with our original chapter advisor, Chet Buckenmaier, Psi Chapter, Class of 1959.

            We in the Gamma Xi Chapter see ourselves not only as social fraternity, but also as a male leadership organization.  The values that we teach and live by help to shape our members into the leaders of tomorrow.